Dr. King knows a new school year brings a lot of stress for many kids.
If you are headed back to school and are wearing braces for the first time, some patients might feel a bit self conscious. It’s ok! It takes just a few days to adjust physically and emotionally to the look and feel of braces. The good news is that you don’t need to put a bag over your head because support and understanding from family and friends goes a long way during those first few weeks while you adapt.
Starting a new school year brings with it many things to deal with. New classes, new teachers, new friends and new academic challenges which can be overwhelming! So Dr. King wanted to share with all of his patients some suggestions to enjoy their time in school and succeed the upcoming school year.
1. Get plenty of sleep every night. Eight hours is recommended.
2. Eat a healthy breakfast; it’s the most important meal of the day.13
3. Pack a healthy lunch or make healthy choices when selecting your school lunch. Avoid the vending machine and limit the junk food intake!
4. Stay active. Go outside & get some exercise – take a walk or ride your bike – you’ll feel great!
5. Ask for help. When you are having a hard time understanding a concept, ask your teacher, your parents or your friends for guidance.
6. Have a positive attitude and keep that amazing smile on your face!