Did you know that a bully actually NEEDS you in order to feel important?
Without a victim a bully is just a kid. YOU CAN TAKE CHARGE of yourself and destroy a bully’s power. Here are some suggestions that can help.
- Bullies look for someone who looks timid, so make it a point to walk tall & show confidence so you don’t become a target. Avoid them if you can and show a positive and assertive attitude when you walk to or attend class. Ask your parent how to have strong and assertive body language.
- Walking away from a bully can succeed! If you see the bully in the hallway, leave with confidence as you remain calm, keep your head held high and veer around the bully. Refuse to be a target. Your strength is his kryptonite. Again, ask your parent to help you practice this at home.
- Set your boundaries clearly if you cannot leave a situation. Hold your anger back because bullies need that to feel strong. If provoked, you could put your hands up if front of you, palms open and outward. Then with a strong, confident voice say STOP and try to veer away. TAKE CHARGE OF YOUR SPACE.
- Use your voice. If a bully tries to touch you, pull away and in a REALLY loud voice say “NO! STOP IT.” Bullies feed on your fear and if you don’t show it to them they have nothing to work with.
- Remember to talk to someone who can help you. Your parents and teachers are there to help – but they have to know that you need help.
Have you ever had to take out the trash at home? It is the same thing with the words of a bully. Just realize their words are trash and you can throw them away. Be strong, walk tall, wear a huge smile and have confidence that YOU are the person that matters.
Laura’s* story begins with a gorgeous new smile when her braces were removed. “At last the smile I’ve always wanted!” Unfortunately, Laura decided NOT to wear her retainer after a while. “It was a hassle,” Laura complained. She stopped wearing it and months later when she decided to try her retainer again it was so painful that she couldn’t wear it. “My teeth felt like someone was squeezing them with pliers.”
Laura also decided not to go back for her checkups, “After all, I don’t wear braces anymore so I don’t need to see the orthodontist.” Her doctor would most certainly have been able to see the damage and correct it. But Laura waited far too long and when she became really unhappy with the deterioration of that great smile she went to the orthodontist once again.
Back in braces Laura learned that teeth have a memory and will travel back to their original position if not retained. Dr. King encourages all of his patients to wear their retainers so that the smile they dreamed of doesn’t become a nightmare in the future. The best advice to follow is to wear your retainers for as long as you want to keep your incredible smile!
*Name has been changed
You may have talent you don’t even know about yet.
Seth has begun an amazing business which came from something he enjoyed doing! Taking pictures of DOGS underwater. “Not in a gazillion years would I have thought that taking underwater dog photos would bring such attention,” said Casteel. Seth knew he was going to continue pursuing his passion for dog and cat photography.
He began by offering personal portraiture sessions of pets to a nationally renowned figure in the field of photography. Before he knew it – the offers came rolling in!
“He hit on something unique,” says art gallery director Sue Powell and that is what Dr. King is saying to you. Everyone has a personal talent, so be unique, don’t be afraid and pursue the things you love doing. Your success in life is tied up with who you are and having the determination to GO FOR IT.
This is an example of why Dr. King will provide a free mouth guard for any student who participates in a contact sports program.
He has seen firsthand the damage that can occur from a sports injury and wants to make sure you are protected. The mouth guard protects not only the teeth buy the lips and cheeks as well. So remember to pop that mouth guard in and keep your smile protected. The ADA has endorses the preventive value of orofacial protectors, including helmets, faceguards and mouth protectors.
Have you been told that you or your child will need surgery in order to correct your bite?
Cutting edge technology reveals non surgery alternatives whether you have an openbite, underbite or overbite. There is a newer approach using bone plates, mini implants or M.E.A.W. Orthodontic has taken a huge shift from surgery to non surgery. Dr. King is one of only two orthodontists in south Florida proficient using the M.E.A.W. technique.
Good oral hygiene linking to good health was known as far back as A.D 23-79!
It’s no secret that caring for your teeth is an affordable way to keep healthy teeth. Excellent hygiene is your first defense against costly dental treatment later in life.
Orthodontics is an investment in happiness. A gorgeous smile worth sharing comes along with that investment! Thirty percent of Dr. King’s patients are adults over the age of thirty five & our oldest patient is over 80… So yes, orthodontics is for everyone. Dr. King is fighting this relentless economy with you and for that reason adjustments have been made so treatment will fit YOUR family budget.
Call 747-5766 and Ashley will set up your free exam, consultation and panoramic x-ray. If you have questions please contact us for a prompt reply.
Remember, selecting your orthodontist for a lifelong smile is like buying jewelry. You want solid gold not just gold overlay. Check out our “WHAT TO ASK AN ORTHODONTIST” page for questions to ask when making this important decision. Dr. King provides these questions for you because no patient should have to return for re-treatment. Getting it right the first time…THAT is what Dr. King does.
Some facts about dental hygiene and orthodontics for you to enjoy and learn from:
• The first mechanical treatment for correcting mal-aligned teeth was suggested by Gaius Plinius Secundus (A.D 23-79).
• The cement that attaches the braces to the teeth is now made with a special fluoride-releasing substance.
• Famous orthodontic patients include: Tom Cruise, Kathryn Heigle, Hale Irwin, Cher, Diana Ross, Phyllis Diller, Chelsea Clinton, Whoopi Goldberg, Daisy Fuentes, Fay Dunaway, and Brandi.
• Wires activated by body heat used in today’s braces originally were developed by NASA for use in the space program.
• Besides alleviating or preventing physical health problems, orthodontics can improve self-esteem while treatment aligns teeth, jaws and lips.
At Jupiter Orthodontics, Dr. King understands that image is important. For that reason Dr. King assures folks of every age that there is no need to put off orthodontics. You have no doubt heard of Invisalign and the great results achieved with these removable clear trays.
If you’ve been considering straightening your teeth but are apprehensive about wearing braces, Invisalign at Jupiter Orthodontics is your solution. Invisalign straightens teeth through a series of clear, custom-fit removable aligners. No one knows the are there but you, so go ahead, SMILE!
Knowing a tough economy might inhibit the process, he gave thought to several possibilities that will help. Dr. King has put in place affordable, custom financing options to accommodate every budget. Check out our “Ask a question” option on our home page. Go ahead and ask Dr. King the questions you need answers to.
We look forward to meeting you soon!
Working with the school district of Palm Beach County is a privilege. It takes a village to raise a child and there are limitless ways to reach out and do so. Working with CHOICE AND CAREER OPTIONS has allowed many students to work along with Dr. King and his staff in his office. What better way to nurture the abilities of young minds who are interested in the orthodontic field than to show them first hand.
Many interns have spent valuable time learning about orthodontics with Dr. King. Education begins much earlier where Dr. King is concerned. He goes to our local schools and teaches kids from kindergarten up about the benefits of excellent dental hygiene. It’s quite probable that your child has even benefited from the dental and orthodontic supplies that are regularly delivered to their schools.
Teamwork and education! It’s what great communities are made of!