Invisalign Clear Aligners have become an increasingly popular orthodontic treatment option because patients can remove them when necessary and they are very discreet. Sounds simple, right?? It is, but we still get questions on proper protocol when eating and drinking with clear aligners. Here are a few tips that we share with our patients:
- Always remove your custom made aligners before eating/drinking.
There are several reasons why this is important.
- Aside from water, drinking fluids such as coffee, tea, cola or wine can stain the invisible aligners over time. Stained aligners will make your teeth look discolored and the advantage of having clear orthodontics will dissipate over time.
- Eating while wearing your aligners can cause them to break or become distorted. It takes time to order new aligners and waiting for a replacement tray to be delivered will delay treatment and become more costly.
- When you eat food, your body uses the saliva in your mouth to help wash away sugars and food particles left behind. If you eat with your aligners on, food can become trapped over time, leading to decay.
- Avoid drinking hot beverages when wearing your aligners, as they can warp the material and hinder treatment. We recommend only drinking cool/room temperature clear water while wearing your aligners.
- Keep an oral hygiene kit on hand.
- Ask us for a retainer case to keep your trays in when you remove them to eat or drink. Placing them on a napkin or paper towel is very precarious, as we have had several patients accidentally throw away their aligners.
- Keep some floss and a toothbrush handy at all times. It is always best to floss and brush before putting your aligners back into place. If you do not have these items, be sure to at least rinse your mouth with some mouthwash or warm water.
- Keep your aligners clean.
- Be sure to gently brush your aligners with a gentle mouthwash like Crest Pro Health. Listerine and toothpaste are too abrasive to use on the aligners and can cause them to become damaged over time.
Clear braces are a fun way to straighten misaligned teeth because no one will know you have them except for you, especially when you take proper care of your invisible braces while you eat.
As always, the Jupiter Orthodontist team is here to answer any of your questions and to help you any way that we can to ensure that your Invisalign works perfectly according to your treatment plan. Please feel free to call our office and any member of our team will be happy to assist you. Jupiter orthodontics is proud to serve the Jupiter, Palm Beach Gardens, and Hobe Sound, FL communities.